Grave of The Fireflies Summary
The Grave of The Fireflies is a Japanese Anime about a boy named Seita and his younger sister called Setsuko. This movie takes place in Japan 1940 during World War II. Seita and Setsuko lived with their mother while their father was in the Navy. An air raid siren went off. People rushed to the bomb shelter, thousands of Incendiary bombs come crashing down on rooftops and paths. Seita and Setsuko make it into the shelter but are unsure where their mother is. Seita and Setsuko??™s house is destroyed. Seita receives word that their mother is in hospital and has been severely injured. He tells Setsuko that her mother??™s a bit sick. They stay at their aunties. Their auntie is treats them awfully and taunts them about not getting jobs and helping rebuild Japan. After a while of living at their aunties, Seita is informed that his mother has passed away. Seita decides to lie to Setsuko and just say that she??™s still in hospital. Even after their mother died their auntie still taunted and teased Seita and Setsuko, so they decided it would be a smart idea to just move into the bomb shelter, that way they could get there instantly if an air raid siren went off, and the bomb shelter was perfectly livable.
While spending their first night in the shelter Setsuko gets scared, so very cleverly Seita catches lots of fireflies and lets them go underneath the mosquito netting, giving them a beautiful light. In the morning Setsuko starts to feel very sick. This only gets much worse. Setsuko becomes extremely ill and has to be taken to a doctor; the doctor says she needs food. But Seita doesn??™t have food. Setsuko??™s condition gets far worse, and eventually Setsuko dies Seita loses all meaning of life and becomes a homeless person, and eventually dies away too.
By Jordan Pappalardo
. Anime is very cheap
. Anything can be done in anime as long as it can be drawn
. Can pull any face without risk of actor refusing to do so
. Can make characters as pretty or ugly as they need to be.
. Animation is sometimes clanky
3. Grave of the Fireflies is set in Japan; Japan is where Seita & Setsuko live. Without it being set in Japan the characters would not have been bombed in the first place and the story would have been on a whole different topic entirely.
4. Seita is the older brother of Setsuko and is a very nice boy. His mother was killed in an incendiary bombing so he now looks after his much younger sister Setsuko. Seita is a very cunning and smart boy. He is able to cheer his younger sister up almost every time she is upset. In their darkest moments Seita is always able to think positive and is a great role model. Seita has no other living relatives in Japan after his mother dies, except his auntie who treats them awfully, however Seita is able to come up with a solution by moving into the bomb shelter and living there. Seita is a very bright and fun character.
Setsuko is almost completely the opposite of Seita. Setsuko is the younger sister of Seita and is always in need of food, water or rest. Setsuko is still only a toddler and although very needy, she is also a very heart warming character. Setsuko is absolutely devastated when she finds out her mother dies and this may result in her neediness and grumpiness throughout the movie. But all in all Setsuko is a very nice character.
5. Seita is the most important character in the story, without Seita the movie would not nearly be as good as it was. The movie would extremely gloomy and dark. Seita is the character that keeps people interested and not want to stop watching simply because they??™re too depressed to watch on.
It??™s easy to play with people??™s emotions with Setsuko because she is so young and innocent. People feel much more sympathy for people is they are young.
8. The director is trying to show that it was just as, if not harder for the Japanese than for the Americans. It shows sickness, poverty and various other misfortunes, which the Japanese faced daily while the war was on.
9. Grave of the Fireflies was made for people who want to know about the Japanese side of the war, for people who just wanted to know about the war in general and for those who like all types of anime.
10. The slowness and clunks is a well-known technique used in most anime shows or movies. This is no longer a disability of anime, but a technique.
By Jordan Pappalardo